How does microcurrent work?
We first need to understand what causes our facial skin to wrinkle and sag. As we age, our muscles become accustomed to certain expressions and tend to get stuck in these positions. A great example of this is the furrow between the eyebrows that many people get. At the same time, other muscles in our face are hardly ever used, and they begin to atrophy, which leads to sagging. An example of this can often be seen around our jaw lines, chins and necks where we tend to develop sagging or loss of definition as we get older. As we age, skin cells become less active, which leads to a breakdown of collagen and elastin. By the age of 45, the upper cheek muscles may elongate by as much as half an inch, dragging the skin over the cheeks downward to form plump little pouches at the corners of the mouth. The muscles under the chin become loose and the jaw line loses its firm contour.
There are 32 different muscles of the face that are manipulated during the microcurrent facial treatment. The treatment lifts, smoothes, tightens and tones. Probes are used to physically move the muscle into the desired position to perform muscle re-education – the process of lengthening or shortening muscles. Having muscle re-education movements performed in a series re-trains the muscles to maintain this new contour. Microcurrent treatment allows the muscles the necessary energy to keep their tension in this new contour.
Since you are re-educating the muscle tissue, it is crucial that you receive a series of treatments for results to reach their maximum potential. Once a series is completed, the results can be maintained by by coming in every 4-8 weeks for maintenance treatments. Additionally, a series can be repeated every few years. If the full series of treatments is completed and maintenance sessions are continued on a monthly basis, results should last 3-4 years!
What are the benefits of microcurrent?
- Diminished appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Improved muscle tone in face and neck
- Improved circulation
- Cleared up or reduced acne
- Lift of jowls and eyebrows
- Lymphatic drainage
- Sun damage treatment
- Skin pigment improvement
- Product penetration
- Smoother, firmer skin
- Hydrated and revitalized skin
- Improved elasticity
The number of sessions depends on the client age and skin condition. The effects of microcurrent are immediate and cumulative. Clients go through a series of treatments followed by regular maintenance to keep a more youthful appearance. Each time a treatment is performed the new contour maintains its position better and longer. Typically clients will notice about 5 year reduction in facial aging.
APPROXIMATE GUIDELINES FOR TREATMENT:
- 20 – 30 years old: Preventative, to slow down the aging process
- 30 – 35 years old: Initial series of 6, once per week
Maintenance every 6-8 weeks
- 35 – 40 years old: Initial series of 8-10, once to twice per week; Maintenance every 6-8 weeks
- 40 – 50 years old: Initial series of 10-12, once to twice per week; Maintenance every 4-6 weeks
- 50 – 60 years old: Initial series of 12-15, once to twice per week; Maintenance every 4-6 weeks
- 60 plus years old: Initial series of 15-18, ideally twice per week; Maintenance every 4 weeks
- Perfect for special occasions or a quick pick-me-up for an instant lift lasting up to two days.
- Excellent for post surgical facelift to maintain the lift and treat blood stasis, scarring, and numbness.